Recent Posts

Monday, July 8, 2013

So I Met This Guy...

I was sitting in homeroom my senior year of high school a little over ten years ago when something happened that would change my life.

Prom was coming up, and I was still debating whether or not I would go. My friend came up to me and told me there was a guy who wanted to go to prom with me. He used to go to our school before I started there and was still friends with a lot of the guys in our class, so it sounded like he wanted to go to our prom. The only way for him to do that was if he had a date with someone that went to the school. She said he was a nice guy. I wouldn't have labeled myself as adventurous back then, but for some reason, I said yes. Yes, to going to prom with a total stranger. It was a little crazy for me. I remember telling my parents it wasn't a big deal. It was just prom and a date before prom, so we could get to know each other a little better. We had no idea.
We went to prom and then started dating. We would talk for hours on the phone even though neither of us was a big talker with other people. People thought that was funny. There was just something that "clicked". We somehow were able to talk like we'd known each other forever even though we were both shy around others. I remember my stomach jumping with excitement when I heard him call me his girlfriend for the first time. I was falling for him. :-)

We had dated for almost three months when it ended abruptly. It seemed that it wasn't meant to be after all. I was so sad, but my sister encouraged me to not be bitter. I never did get angry or mad.

Over the next year or so I did my best to avoid him. He worked at a Target near our church, so it would be all too easy to run into him. I remember trying to hide behind clothes racks and turning around abruptly if I saw him. One day he caught me, though, and we talked a little about what we were up to and what classes we were taking in college. It was nice to talk, but I kind of put it out of my mind. Another day, I ran into his friend, and he got my new phone number. It struck me as a little odd, but I didn't give it too much thought and forgot about it. 

Then one day my phone rang and the prom date guy was on the other line (I found out later his friend dialed my number and handed him the phone...thanks for that!). He left a message, because I didn't hear my phone. He wanted me to call him. That was weird. What could he want? We played phone tag and finally were able to talk after a few days. It was a lot like before. We talked for a long time, and he asked if he could see me.

He showed up at my doorstep a few days later with roses. He apologized, and I, of course, forgave him. 
About a week and a half later he slipped and said something about me marrying him. He wouldn't say it again when I asked what he said, but I heard it. He was serious this time. That thought was exciting more than scary. We'd been dating again about two weeks when he asked me if I would be his girlfriend. I was the first to say those three little words (although he DID trick me into saying it first :-)). 

He tells me that he saw me even before that day my friend asked me about prom, and he knew he was going to marry me. It was love at first sight. He's perfect for me in too many ways to count, and I thank God for him and for bringing us together. He keeps me strong, encourages me, comforts me, and so much more. I wouldn't feel whole without him. 

Ten months after that night he brought me roses we were engaged, and fourteen months after that we were married. That was seven years ago today!
Happy Anniversary, My Love! I can't wait to continue this adventure with you!




---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy this post?
I'd love for you to join us on our adventures and follow along:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting! I love hearing from you, so please feel free to leave a comment or contact me on the "Contact Us" tab. I hope you're having a wonderful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...